Friday, January 30, 2009

The Daily Bitcher: Chairs Missing

Ah, yes--one of my pet peeves, the wonderful Metro Boston Parking Space Reservation System. Yes, I know it's legal. And by way of disclosure I'm not responding as angry driver who's always looking for a parking spot--I'm just a pedestrian walking around and shaking my head. I think it's an obnoxious tradition. It's public parking. No one owns it. If you bought a house with off street parking, you'd pay thousands more for that property. But if you own or rent, have a car, and want to make sure that spot is still there when you get back, all it costs you is the time and energy to put out a chair, a cone or a garbage can. And no one will ever move your crap and take your place, because who wants the grief of a confrontation or something happening to your car? 

Is this just a Boston thing? Part of me hopes so, and a part of me hopes we're not the only town that does this, just because it's so shameful. Then again, we did invent the "Yankees Suck" chant and saw fit to cart it out at non-baseball games against non-New York teams. It's not beyond us to be alone in practicing something this stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment